Learn the fundamentals of Vedic astrology according to the background of “Ayurvedic Astrology,” helping you approach the astrological chart in order to recognize imbalances of body and mind according to their planetary connections, and promote positive well-being, yoga and spirituality. Study with a master educator, author and teacher in both Vedic astrology and Ayurveda of worldwide renown.
Since 1985 five thousand people worldwide have taken this course, which has helped pioneer Vedic astrology in the western world, and also has pioneered the Ayurvedic aspect of Vedic astrology.
For those wanting to go immediately to the course ordering, note the information directly below and the ordering options to the right. For those wanting to know more about the course, scroll on to the course information section. Yet even if you want to order the course now, please go through the complete course information section for details on the course and how it is handled, including the syllabus.
ORDERING THE COURSE (Previously called “Astrology of the Seers” Course)
NEW ON-LINE VERSION OF COURSE
Note our new ordering option for the course through on-line access for $495.00. It will not include any printed material or reference books. You will receive a special code that will allow you to access the full course on line.
For International Orders this will now be the main way of course ordering.
We will also add an option of adding on-line access to the printed course versions for those in USA and CANADA only.
COURSE REFERENCE MATERIAL AND RECOMMENDED READING:
3 Books and 1 CD (four items total)
- Astrology of the Seers: A Guide to Vedic (Hindu) Astrology, by David Frawley
- Ayurvedic Astrology: Self Healing through the Stars, by David Frawley
- The Nakshatras, by Dennis Harness
- Jyotir Bhava by Yogini Shambhavi
You can order the books directly from Lotus Press (1-800-824-6396), Amazon or other sources, including by kindle edition, or order the books through us only if you take the printed course version.
PRINTED COURSE VERSION:
The full course is sent out upon receipt of payment.
LENGTH – Four special printed course booklets totaling over six hundred 8 1/2 by 11 pages, or over 200,000 words of material.
COST - $595.00, without reference material or shipping costs (extra 30.00 for USA and 60.00 for Canada). Automatic ordering prices will include shipping costs depending upon the payment options that you choose.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE AYURVEDIC ASTROLOGY COURSE
Vedic astrology, also called Jyotish, is the traditional astrology of India and part of the greater system of yogic knowledge. While similar to Western astrology in using planets, signs, houses and aspects, it calculates these differently and adds many unique factors of its own. Vedic astrology is a comprehensive system of astrological interpretation, containing accurate methods for examining all aspects of life from health to enlightenment. It has tremendous power both for prediction of events and for guidance on how to live in harmony with the universe, helping us to understand and transcend the influence of karma.
There are no specific prerequistes for taking the course, except that the student should realize that the course can be challenging and contains extensive material.
NATURE AND GOAL OF COURSE
For those who have difficulty approaching Vedic astrology, the course provides keys for unlocking its language and its methodology, both in terms of chart interpretation and the application of remedial measures.
The goal of the course is to provide a good foundation in Vedic astrology. Its orientation is threefold:
- To teach the fundamentals of Vedic astrology and chart interpretation through the planets, signs, houses, aspects, yogas, divisional charts and dashas.
- To set forth the Vedic ‘Astrology of Healing’ (Ayurvedic Astrology) for those who want to specialize in this subject, including gem therapy, as well as the use of mantras.
- To introduce the Nakshatras, Muhurta, Ashtakavarga and Vedic methods of timing, including the Vedic calendar (Panchanga).
No previous background in Vedic Astrology is required. The course starts at a beginning level, but goes into depth into its subject.
The course uses the books, Astrology of the Seers and Ayurvedic Astrology, by David Frawley, the Nakshatras by Dennis Harness, and the Vedic Astrological Terminology CD of Nicholai Bachman. This professionally produced CD contains the correct pronunciation of all main Vedic astrology terms and the planetary mantras in the original Sanskrit. It comes along with a special booklet defining the terms and mantras used.
The course is authored by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Dr. David Frawley) and represents his approach to Jyotish, making it relevant in the modern world without losing its traditional depth and spirituality. Vamadeva is Jyotish Kovid (proficiency in Jyotish, 1993) and Jyotish Vachaspati (Professor of Jyotish, 1996) through the Indian Council of Astrological Sciences (ICAS), the largest India based Vedic astrology organization, founded by Dr. B.V. Raman. He was directly initiated into Vedic astrology mantras by Dr. Raman himself. He is one of the few who is a world recognized teacher in both fields of Vedic astrology and Ayurveda.
Dr. Raman was Vamadeva’s main Vedic astrology teacher and hosted him for a number of talks and programs in India. He is also closely connected to Chakrapani Ullal. Vamadeva was the first president of the American Council of Vedic Astrology (ACVA) from 1993-2003. He was one of the two patron founders of the British Association of Vedic Astrology (BAVA, 1998) along with Dr. Raman. He is a board member of the Council of Vedic Astrology (CVA). In addition, he is a well known Ayurvedic teacher and author, connected to important Ayurvedic organizations including the National Ayurvedic Medical Association (NAMA), the Ayurvedic Practitioner’s Association of North America (AAPNA), and the Chopra Center University.
Dr. Frawley has a rare and prestigious D. Litt. (Doctor of Letters), the highest educational title possible, for his contributions to Vedic knowledge, from SVYASA (Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samstha), the only deemed Yoga university recognized by the Government of India.
PART I. FOUNDATIONS OF VEDIC ASTROLOGY
- Background of Vedic Astrology and how to approach it
- Study Guide to Astrology of the Seers
- Planetary Types and their characteristics
- Advanced Study of Houses and House Lords
- Shadbala: the Six means of Judging Planetary Strength and Weakness
- Horoscope Judgment, basic principles
- Business Astrology, basic considerations
- Relationship Astrology
- 1; Comparative Method via Ascendant and Planets
- 2; Computative Method or Kuta System
- Glossaries, Sanskrit and English
PART II. THE ASTROLOGY OF HEALING OR AYURVEDIC ASTROLOGY
- Astrology and Ayurveda, interconnections
- Planets and Disease Correlations
- Individual Ayurvedic Constitution and Disease Tendency
- Astrology, Diet and Herbs
- Subtle Healing Remedies: Colors, Flowers and Aromas
- Gem Therapy
- 1; Basic Principles and application
- 2; Advanced Principles
- 1; Balancing the Planets through Cosmic Sounds
- 2; Sounds of Planets, Signs and Nakshatras
- Sanskrit pronunciation guide
- Planetary Deities and Yantras
- Spiritual Astrology, How to Examine the Subtle Body
- Chart Rectification
PART III. ADVANCED MATERIAL: NAKSHATRAS AND MUHURTA
- Nakshatras (Lunar Asterisms)
- 1; Description of Nakshatras
- 2; Systems of Nakshatra Classification
- Karmic Astrology and the Lunar Nodes
- Horary Astrology, the Timing of Events
- Astrological Forecasting (Muhurta)
- 1; The Role of Nakshatras
- 2; Tithis and Related Factors
- 1; the Basic System
- 2; the Timing of Events
- How to Give a Vedic Astrology Reading
- 1; Background Information
- 2; Procedure
PART IV. WORKBOOK AND CHART ANALYSIS
- How to Read North and South Indian Charts
- Synopsis of Chart Judgment
- The Twelve Ascendants
- Raja Yoga and Implications
- Medical or Ayurvedic Astrology, Advanced Material
- Maraka Planets and Referred Houses
- Chart Rectification
- The Jaimini System
- The Question of Ayanamsha
- The Antiquity of Vedic Astrology
- The printed course comes in four booklets. Each booklet is 8 ½ X 11 and spiral bound for easy usage.
- The on-line course version allows access to the same material on-line in a slightly different and expanded format.
- There is a three year time limit on completing the course or a reinstatement fee may be required.
TESTING AND TEACHER-STUDENT INTERACTION
- The course includes study questions and study exercises at the end of the nearly forty lessons. The course workbook contains special charts for practical analysis.
- There are three detailed final tests consisting of up to one hundred questions, to be returned to the institute for grading. Students can send in answers by mail or by email.
- Students can email or write the institute if they have additional questions based upon the course material.
CERTIFICATION AND ADDITIONAL STUDIES
- Certification for the course is given to students who answer all test questions satisfactorily, as well as options for further study.
- The course takes about 300 hours of study to complete and provides 300 hours of credit in Vedic Astrology. It grants a certificate in our Foundation Course in Ayurvedic Astrology, as an “Ayurvedic Astrologer Foundation Course.” This credit is unique with us as an institution recognized for Ayurvedic studies as well as astrology.
- You can make yourself known as one of Vamadeva’s and the Institute’s trained students in Ayurvedic Astrology.
- You can also use this course as partial credit for the Council of Vedic Astrology (CVA) Jyotish Visharada program.
- Course questions should be returned by email.
- We can email you the test questions for the course to save you the time of copying them down. Let us know if you want to receive the test questions by email.